台南縣政府logo Government About us Business Visitors Living inTainan
Merge Information
:::
Central Weather Bureau
 Tainan County
 
About usAbout us
 Regions&Local info
 Natural Environment
 Transportation Network
 Governmentorg anization
 History
 Agricultural Development
 Industraial Development
 Green Energy Industry
 Resources of Tourism
 Cultural Assets
 Environmental Protection
 Public Security
 Welfare
 Education
 Health Care
Map Search
map
Accommodation Transportation
Governmental Find food
Education Health Care
:::  Home> About us > Regions&Local info
mail Send to friends print Print   Font Size: S M l
 
Madou Township
 
 

What you must know

 Environment
Madou Township is located in the central part of Tainan county. A stream, the Zengwun, passes through its southern part. Its neighbour to the east is Guantian. To the west is Jiali Township, and to the south are Shanhua, Anding, and Sigang. To its north are Siaying and Syuejia Township. It has a total area of 53,9744 square kilometers, and contains 29 villages and 393 neighbourhoods. The Zhongshan highway passes through its western part and there is a Madou Junction. The 30 meter-wide bypass to the north connects with Taiwan Highway Route 1 and the Main Line Railway. It is very easy to get to, and Madou is the economic and communication hub for the whole Tainan area.

 

 History
Madou is famous in Taiwan local history. When Holland occupied Taiwan, it was called the Madou Community, one of the four major communities of the Siraya tribes. In 1661, during the Ming dynasty, Zheng Chenggong came to Taiwan to retake it from the Dutch. A map made at that time showed Madou as a fanshe (aboriginal community). Two centuries ago, the Madou plain was a undeveloped strip of land by the sea, and Madou Harbor was a southeastern river branch haven.
    Madou was first cultivated in the north, by the Houyuchao Tribe, then in the east (Shi'erlu), then the west (Caodianwei), and finally the south (Siiangkou). These have been called the four quarters of the Madou Community. By the first years of the Qianlong era (began 1736), the four quarters had developed into eight. Jinjiiangjiiao had split off from Siiangkou, Angzumiao from Shi'erlu, the eastern quarter of Caodianwei had separated, and Nansi had formed in the north. During this rapid development, many temples appeared: the God Temple, Mazu Temple, Guandi Temple, Wenxhang Temple and Five Kings Temple. The 8 "quarters" further divided into 12 in later times: Zumiao, centered on the Mazu Temple; Jia'nianbang, formerly part of Angzumiao; Dacheng, formerly part of the east; and Sindian, formerly part of Houyuchao, centered on the Five Kings Temple. After Taiwan was returned to Chinese control in 1945, the whole area was called Madou Township.
 
Where you must go
 Scenic spots
 Zongye SugarRefinery
 Madou Shuijuetou ancient water path historic site
 Guo Family House
 Lin Family House
 
What you can't miss eating
 Special snacks
 Steamed Rice Cakes
 Fried oysters
 Wendan (Pomelo)
 Watermelon seeds
 Big White Pomelo
 Avocado
back
 
調整表格寬度的透明圖
 Privacy Statement and Security Policy  Contact Us
Visitors : 7881
 Last Modified:2009/10/26  ADD : No.36, Minjhih Rd., Sinying City, Tainan County 73001, Taiwan (R.O.C.)
WebCall(New window)
Accessible Website(New window)
 TEL: 886-6-632-2231  Best Viewed with Internet Explorer 1024 X 768
    Free call county switchboard